Follow us: Entypo-facebook Entypo-twitter

The new Mobile Harbour Crane series – Liebherr

Profile: Erica Luke

Erica Luke: Committed to success

Taking the helm of a traditional family-run business certainly has its challenges – especially one with a long and proud history going back over 50 years. Barbados shipping executive, Erica Luke, talks to Caribbean Maritime about how she has built on the past at Eric Hassell Shipping and made the company relevant in a fast-changing world while retaining its reputation for respect and integrity. 

Eric Luke

Q. Where were you born and where did you grow up? 

A. I was born in beautiful Barbados. My maternal grandfather, Captain Eric Hassell, was from a seafaring family from Saba, a Dutch Territory. My father was born in Sierra Leone where his Barbadian father, an engineer, was working on a project. Growing up in a Barbadian household with these fused cultural backgrounds made for an interesting home life and shaped my openness to persons from different cultures, which is especially important in the global maritime industry where our Agency may represent a yacht sailing from France or a German research vessel.  

Q. How big an influence were your parents on your early life? 

A. On reflection, both sides of my family were involved in business which made it natural that I would follow that path. Matters related to business and shipping were often discussed in my family. My grandfather started the Eric Hassell Shipping Agency in 1969, after the vessel he captained sunk in 1963. My grandfather transformed his life from that of ship’s captain to business owner. His life story was told in the book ‘A Man called Peace: The story of Eric Hassell and His Enterprise’. His story was one of triumph over adversity. My mother who was a home maker, and her siblings all spent some time working with my grandfather. My father owned a small supermarket close to our home and which is currently being operated by one of my three sisters and her husband. Growing up in an environment where my family was engaged in business, I had the opportunity to observe the highs and the lows, their commitment to succeed and the hard work and dedication involved in running a successful business. When it was my turn to lead the family business as MD, I drew on the many lessons I learnt from my parents and grandparents, their fairness in dealing with staff and customers and their integrity in business. 

Q. Where did you go to school and then to university?

A. I attended Queen’s College in Barbados and then Concordia University in Montreal.  

Q. In which subject(s) did you graduate?

A. I graduated with a Bachelor of Commerce in Business Management. Having studied French at “A” Level in Barbados, I became fluent while living and studying in Montreal. 

Q. Given your family’s long association with the sea, were you always destined to work in the maritime sector and for Eric Hassell Shipping? 

A. No, my grandfather was not one who felt that the family had to be employed in the business, one had to earn one’s position in the business based on merit. I am now the third generation. Following my grandfather’s passing in 1994 my uncle Frank, who was an engineer, succeeded another uncle Geoffrey as MD. Our Board Chairman is my uncle, Dr Sir Trevor Hassell. Other family members serve on the Board of Directors or have worked in various roles over the years, and have contributed to the success of the Company. The Company celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 2019. 

Q. Was working for the family business your first job or did you work elsewhere before joining Eric Hassell & Son Ltd.? 

A. I had a short stint at a distribution company before joining Eric Hassell & Son Ltd. I first joined the Sales Department 28 years ago.

Q. Eric Hassell Shipping has a long and proud history dating back over 50 years including a leading role in the inter-island schooner trade. So, what was the most important aspect of running a shipping agency business you learned from your forebears such as uncles Geoffrey and Frank Hassell or even from your grandfather Capt Eric? 

A. Running a shipping agency business is very dynamic but it is much like any other business. I have learnt how very important it is to live the basic values of mutual respect, honesty and teamwork in business.  

Q. How important to the long-term success of Eric Hassell Shipping is the agency representation in Barbados of Seaboard Marine – a relationship that has been maintained for almost 20 years? 

A. I am very proud of our association with Seaboard Marine. They are a wonderful company to represent and work with. We look forward to continuing this relationship for many decades to come.

Looking ahead, Seaboard Marine has acquired one of the youngest refrigerated and dry container fleets in the industry. The new refrigerated containers are energy efficient, low in energy consumption and emissions. They are therefore well positioned to service the needs of the tourism and cruise sector, which is the dominant industry in Barbados. It is this forward thinking and progressive approach that is at the cornerstone of the success of our mutual relationship. But it is not all business. Both of our Companies are cognizant of our social responsibility to the local business community. Eric Hassell Shipping has partnered with Seaboard Marine on various charitable events and donations over the years. So the synergies between our Companies extend beyond business. We both strive to be good corporate citizens in the communities in which we do business.  

Q. When did you take over at the helm of Eric Hassell Shipping and why? 

A. I succeeded my Uncle Frank, who retired in 2007. It was important for me personally and for the family to continue my grandfather’s legacy.

Q. Was taking charge a daunting prospect for you? 

A. Yes, in some ways it was. It has always been my dream to see my Grandfather’s legacy live on… that is a daunting prospect. My grandfather had seen the company through difficult economic world situations -the oil crisis of the 1970s, the world recession of the 1980s and the early 1990s. He had steered the helm with success and overcame these challenges. Especially in a post Covid-19 world it is now my task to lead the Company through these challenges.  

Q. Upon taking charge, what changes, if any, did you make to the company’s day-to-day working and its general business outlook and philosophy? 

A. Financially the Company was and continues to be on a sound footing. My goal has been to strengthen the internal processes to best serve our Partners. We had moved from representing schooners to container lines. I wanted to align our service delivery with the best in the industry. This required some capacity building in terms of our computer and network services to improve communication and technology links with our external partners. Building people capacity through training and development is another area that was an important focus for meeting our contractual deadlines for service delivery. We have always had a great team, very committed and capable. I wanted to ensure that as a Company we are always change ready. Diversification was another key area. We established a warehouse operation in 2011 to meet the demand for better logistics for LCL cargo. Smart phone technologies and online platforms have opened up commerce to a whole new era of entrepreneurs who have created opportunities in the LCL market. In 2016, we moved into our corporate headquarters building in Bridgetown but closer to the Barbados Port. We have also diversified, albeit tentatively, into providing trucking services at the LCL warehouse for a seamless customer experience. I also felt it was important that the Company continues to seek opportunities and build relationships via the regional shipping bodies like the CSA and Multiport of which we are members.  

Q. Do you think it’s important to also be a port agent working across trades and sectors and not be wholly reliant on, say, only liner agency business?  

A. I spoke on the changing role of the Ship Agent at a CSA conference in 2013. I believe Agencies bring value to the vital role of representation. Locally, we are knowledgeable of the market and have relationships with the customers to perform a vital role for the Lines. Yes, there are opportunities for partnerships and expansion into other areas. However, the value of an Agent remains the advanced local knowledge. In an effort to be more competitive and marketable, agents will have to demonstrate to potential principals that they are willing to be flexible to the demands of the line, that they have invested adequately in Information Technology, suitable personnel and personnel training and finally that the physical infrastructure is adequate. Previously an agents’ length of time in the industry or reputation was sufficient, this is no longer the case. The availability of smart phones and online advertising platforms has given rise to an increase in online shopping resulting in demand for air shipments. The Eric Hassell Group is poised to provide air cargo services in association with a stateside partner. We have also expanded into warehousing, so we are continuing to diversify from the
traditional liner agency business to a logistics company.   

Q. Do you foresee Eric Hassell Shipping continuing as a family business and further generations of Hassells and/or Lukes taking over in the years ahead?

A. After 50 years, our foundation is strong. The shipping industry has provided careers to my family for four generations. The Company has demonstrated resilience, the capacity to respond to changes in the industry. I believe that these tenets will serve the Company well for the future. 

Q. Have your own children shown any early interest in working in shipping?  

A. Many family members are active in supporting the Company: serving as Directors, participating in charitable activities, general goodwill. From time to time, family members work with the Company during university vacation and other periods. My son, Liam currently works in the Sales and Marketing Department. Every year we have a family luncheon on Christmas Day for all the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of Captain Hassell and their families. Due to Covid-19 this year the luncheon was limited to smaller gatherings. I feel confident that from among the family group a leader is in the making to whom I can pass the baton.  

Q. What’s the best advice you have received during your career and what advice would you give to any young person seeking a career in the maritime sector? 

A. I highly recommend a career in the Maritime Industry to any young person who has an interest in this area. I have a rewarding career in an area that is dynamic and one in which there are always opportunities for learning and growth. I think the best advice I have received has been to value people. I live the basic values of mutual respect, honesty and teamwork in my business life. As a woman, I encourage other women to keep striving to overcome traditional obstacles or viewpoints that have created barriers to success.  

Q. Are you a member of any Civic or Charitable Organizations? 

A. Yes, being active in my community and giving back is an important personal choice. In terms of service to the wider society, I was a member of the Board of the Grantley Adams International Airport Inc for seven years and served on The Finance, Tenders & Audit Committee. It was also an honour to receive the recent appointment as Honorary Consul for Norway in Barbados.

The Rosemary Hassell Charitable Trust, named after my late aunt, was established by the Hassell Family to benefit children with Disabilities. As a Trustee I work along with other family members to execute the objectives of the Trust. From inception, the Company had a culture of family and community. Giving back is not limited to monetary donations as service is also emphasized.

Q. What do you enjoy most about living and working in Barbados? 

A. Barbados is a great place to live and work. Over the years we have attracted many international companies and expatriate workers due to the stability of Government and the availability of a fast communications network and resources like good schools and a high educational standard. Barbados has a high number of persons living to 100 years and beyond. It is a special place with many positives. I enjoy swimming in our beautiful ocean. 

Q. Finally, can we ask you something about your personal life? What are your main interests outside of work in terms of hobbies, sports and leisure activities?

A. I have a family so work life balance is very important. My husband, Douglas, heads his own architectural firm and we have three children: Liam, 24, Mackenzie 21, and Savannah, 18. Shipping is a 24-hour business so I have often had to merge my family or personal time with work. I think it is important to periodically have time away to recharge and have personal space. I enjoy yoga and swimming to relax and recharge.