Follow us: Entypo-facebook Entypo-twitter

The new Mobile Harbour Crane series – Liebherr

CSA People: Alvin Henry

Alvin Henry: a man of integrity

Alvin Henry joined the staff of The Shipping Association of Jamaica (SAJ) in 1969. In the 32 years that followed, the Association benefited from his keen sense of duty, loyalty, technical and professional competence as well as his finely honed negotiating skills.

Alvin Henry

He led the administration of the SAJ during a period of great challenges. It was a time of historical milestones; an epoch, which produced great men and women; an era of political, economic and technological revolution in Jamaica, the Caribbean and the wider world.

The time, the era, the industry demanded of Alvin Henry more than that asked of many in a lifetime. Alvin responded by giving himself completely and unconditionally.

He initiated systems and guided innovations which transformed the SAJ in his time, as Financial Controller, and later, as General Manager, in technical fields, but more so, in the areas of industrial relations and human resources development. In 1989 Alvin was cited for his work and awarded the SAJ’s Special Award for Dedicated Service.

In 1977, Alvin was again summoned by fate, this time to lead the administration of the still fledgling Caribbean Shipping Association (CSA). Through that Association, first as Corporate Secretary and from 1981 to 2001, as Executive Vice President, Alvin served the Caribbean shipping industry well. In 1995, he received the Caribbean Shipping Association Meritorious Award.

Alvin is also greatly admired by his contemporaries. Former CSA President Rawle Baddaloo said: “He is a very unassuming, even introverted person. A man of integrity who was always encouraging the younger ones to participate. Meeting him only at conferences did not prevent myself and others from seeing his greatness. He was always supportive of what I did even though I did not choose the well-worn path. He was a diligent worker behind the scenes.”

Invaluable

Another former president, David Harding, added: “Much has been written about Alvin Henry in the context of his invaluable service to Caribbean shipping. From my personal interaction with him let me say right away Alvin is the embodiment of the amazing hospitality for which Jamaicans are known.”

“In particular he brought his ground game that gave him his success in the SAJ to CSA, sharing with the wider Caribbean national associations the myriad of challenges and remedies for management of labour at ports. The art of getting labour and capital working together harmoniously in ports across the Caribbean commenced in Kingston.

“Alvin, from the 1970s, was a part of that effort to raise the bar on the delivery of service to ships. Those of us in the industry in the 1960s and 1970s, especially in stevedoring and port operations, would have experienced a somewhat militant labour that was resisting the changing cargo handling technologies. And we would recall that this, to a large extent, is what brought about the birth of the CSA, becoming the platform that allowed the entire region to ‘get up to speed’ on the modernization of maritime and port management Jamaica was already enjoying.

“It was not by accident that the CSA Secretariat is based in Jamaica. The SAJ was strongly positioned to feed this fledgling body, both financially and managerially. All presidents during the 50 years of CSA would have, in plenary sessions, recognized the SAJ for its strong and unwavering support to CSA.

He was the Chief Electoral Officer for our sometimes “lively” elections and in his calm, sure-footed way, kept us all smiling.

“For all of us outside of Jamaica he was our “Sergeant Major” from the minute we arrived at Kingston Airport. Our comfort was his main concern. “I got to know him well because of who he is: a quiet, knowledgeable and warm gentleman. My wife, Celia, and I enjoyed the social company of Alvin and his beautiful wife, Janet. He never arrived at Barbados without a bottle or two of Jamaica’s “liquid sunshine” which always kept my fond memories of Jamaica refreshed.

“Alvin is a friend worth having and I am honored to say he is my friend. Thank you, Alvin.”

Archive Keeper

Meanwhile, ninth President Frank Wellnitz was equally fulsome in his praise. “Alvin Henry has been part of the CSA as long as I remember. There were some intermissions, but in reality, he was still always there. He has been the history and the archive keeper of the Association. 

In important council meetings, it was often concluded: “We need to ask Alvin first.” He was a mainstay of our organization for many years. I remember well. When we established the Training Trust Fund, before we asked the lawyers to draft the document, it was his advice that we followed. His calm and non-controversial and factual advice was accepted by all.”